Working Overseas Travel Insurance


According to a government website, there are approximately 900,000 Australians living and working overseas at any one time. Australians are renowned for their globetrotting – how often have you come across an Aussie serving behind a bar in even the most remote of places around the world?

There are a number of reasons you might be working overseas: maybe you're heading off to work in your company's overseas office; perhaps you're an independent contractor whose skills are in demand all over the globe; you could be studying overseas and need a part-time job; or maybe you're just young and filled with wanderlust but need to fund your travels.

Whether you're a backpacker with a holiday job or an expatriate working in New York you'll need some decent travel insurance. The risk of becoming a casualty of illness or a serious accident increases exponentially with the length of time you live away from home. The potential costs arising from unexpected incidents such as these, could leave you financially burdened for a very long time. For example, hospitalisation in some European hospitals can cost upwards of $ 1,000 a day. A travel insurance policy will go a long way towards minimising the possibility of monetary losses.

Here's a few things to look out for …

¥ Check to see that your particular occupation is covered.

¥ Be mindful of the fact that your policy may not extend to public liability cover whilst you're at work. Have a chat to your prospective employers – there's a very good chance that you'll automatically have access to public liability insurance through your employment contract.

¥ Please note that it is unlikely that any insurer would cover you at all for any work involving the use of mechanical or industrial machinery. However, if you are, ask them if they can extend cover for you.

¥ Typically, "light" or "non-manual" work such as bar and restaurant work, office work, nursing and even fruit picking would be covered but you will need to check with your insurance supplier.

Do not forget to ensure that you have all your relevant employment documentation with you and check to see if you need a special working visa! You might like to You take a look at the Australian Government DFAT website Http:// That will give you excellent guidance and information on working overseas.

Source by Josh Harrison