If you really desire the cheapest rates, you must do your utmost to do your shopping extensively. There are many ways you can do that …
1. Ask those around you about their insurance companies. Their testimonial of previous and present insurers will help you in the decision-making process. Your search for the best insurer for you becomes easy if they rave about their insurer or agent. All you'd have to do is simply shortlist them as likely options for you.
Notwithstanding the fact that it does make sense to quickly settle for an insurer or agent that is well-spoken of by your friend, it still pays to shortlist more than one highly recommended agent. This will increase your chances of getting an agent who will offer better service and quotes. Get linked to several agents. Ask for quotes from each agent. Talk with each of them; see their response, and who has the best value. This will involve quite some time.
2. The Yellow Pages is also a good resource to contact agents and begin the shopping process. If you're the kind of individual who prefers talking on the phone, you can locate agents in the Yellow Pages, speak with them and request quotes from them. The little drawbacks with this option is that you'd require much time and may not be able to vouch for the attitude of the agent as would be the case if a trusted friend referred you to them.
3. Every state has a department that is responsible for insurance there and always has useful information for all insurance buyers in the state. They normally have information that will show you how to get the best value. Relevant information will naturally put you in a better position to realize more savings.
4. You can make your shopping a lot more rewarding by studying consumer guides. You'll see typical rates for your home insurance policy. This is apart from the fact that you'll get a number of tips that will help you get the best coverage for you at the lowest rates. Even though they show you companies who have the best rates, the figures they give are usually estimates or for a particular profile. Because of this, make sure you request quotes from as many agents as makes sense. Multiple quotes make it surer that you'll get better rates and value.
5. If you have an agent for another policy, whose quality of service you are pleased with, ask them for a quote. What you must avoid is getting a quote from just an agent. The key to shopping properly is comparing prices and services offered (and you can not compare only a quote).
6. If you can, call insurers directly and ask for quotes. Note, I suggest that you get quotes from many insurers. You increase the probability of landing an affordable price along with an outstanding service by doing detailed comparison of quotes received.
Home insurance (NC lowest rates): You will save a lot if you really have between 15-30 minutes. Visit, get and compare quotes from several quotes sites. The lowest offer should be what you pick easily. But, you have to go beyond just the cheapest quote to the best price to value ratio. The cheapest may not offer the best price / value for you as a person.