Auto Insurance – Types Of Coverage


Apart from the basic requirement for auto insurance, there are other types of coverage that you may need to consider buying.

Medical Payment (MedPay), PIP and no fault coverage.

This coverage would pay the medical bills of you and your family members if you are in an accident while driving your car or any other person's car (with their permission). Your medical bills would also be paid if you or any of your family members sustain injuries an accident as pedestrians. MedPay would foot your bills no matter who is at fault. They may seek damages from the other party if they are at fault.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is the coverage that pays your medical bills for you and your passengers if injured in an accident and pays you for loss of income. They also take care of funeral expenses if a policy holder dies in an accident.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage pays your medical expenses if you are hit by an uninsured motorist or a hit -and -run driver.

The underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage would come in when you are hit by someone whose insurance can not cover all the medical bills. When this happens, the insurance of the person at fault pays out to it maximum then you UIM picks up the balance (but only up to your own limit too!).

UM and UIM coverage also covers pain and suffering claims. In some states, they also cover property damage.

Extra Coverage.

The additional coverage you buy might seem expensive when you are adding up your premium but when you are involved in an accident, you'll be glad you have them.

oTowing and labor coverage would pay for bills that are incurred as a result of road breakdown.

oRental Reimbursement coverage would pay your bills for rental car if your vehicle is stolen or damaged and has to be repaired.

oGap coverage would pay the difference between actual cash value of your car and the amount left on your car loan if your car is totaled.

Source by Chisomeje Odimba