One of the very effective ways of reducing the cost of your auto and car insurance is to take advantage of available discounts you qualify for. If you know these possible discounts and how you can qualify for them if you do not already qualify, you would then work towards qualifying for them and thereby reducing your rates significantly which is what everyone wants so much to do in this present economic climate where every dime saved is very important.
All insurers do not the same discounts so you would always need to find our from your insurer what discounts they offer. I feel it would help to know the possible discounts so you can ask them of specific ones. A lot of times, it pays to show you are not an entire novice who would swallow every hook, line and sinker.
Here are some discounts insurers offer.
1. Group discounts: you might want to look into this if you belong to a club or association or if your company can take this initiative.
2. Discounts for Security and safety Gadgets. Increasing the safety of the occupants of your car and the security of the car is a major one.
3. Discounts for safe driving. The better your record, the lower your rates.
4. Discounts for multiple car policy.
5. Discounts for low mileage. The less you use your car, the less mileage you would accumulate and this would affect your rates positively (for you).
These are by no means a total list. Your insurer can help you with the specific discounts they offer which may include others that are not included here.
Another point to note is that these discounts would also vary from state to state.
Actually, before you start asking for discounts, you should have compared quotes online. Comparing quotes online puts in directly in touch with the best deals available. So if you are serious about getting affordable auto or car insurance coverage, start out now by comparing quotes. be sure to do so on about 5 quotes sites if you want the best result.